Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review

As any parent knows (patronizing alert!) along with your baby must come a slew of classic baby books that every baby family must have, regardless of what you think of these books (hint: zzzzz).  Don't get me wrong -- I love reading with Logie and books are a big part of our lives.  He unfortunately cannot be trusted with a book by himself yet (see Appendix A), but he is definitely into the whole ingesting the spine of the books reading thing.

I digress. 

I'd like to have a word with the person or group who "chose" these books that each child must have (lest the parents seem like they don't care about their child's literary start in life), because I really just don't get it. 

Below you find Austin Ali's literary review of several classics that currently sit in Logan's bookshelf.

Goodnight Moon:  Dude, this book is super creep.  I find the colors really grim.  That old lady bunny, that just sits and rocks away while the kid bunny sleeps?  I know she's supposedly knitting, but can't she face the window or something?  wtf?  And there's a GD FIRE running in the bunny's room!?  Isn't that kind of DANGEROUS?  I mean you'd think at first maybe that's why the old lady bunny is in there, to keep an eye on the fire and all, but then she's just GONE at the end.  Fire blazing away. 

The Runaway Bunny:  Listen, you little shit head baby bunny.  Your mama bunny went through a LOT to have you, raise you, etc. etc.  She worries sick about you.  And all you want to do is run away?  Why?  You better be nice to your mama bunny.  It makes me so sad that your mama bunny is willing to go to the ends of the earth for you (um trapeze artist?!), and then in the end you just sort of give in like "ok, fine, I'll stay here."  UM, so not cool.  If I were your mama bunny, I'd tell you to just stay in the fly fishing lake.  Well, I probably wouldn't.  But I'd be really sad if Logie turned out like you, all wanting to run away all the time.  Breaks my heart.

The Snowy Day:   YES I KNOW THIS IS LIKE THE MAJOR AWARD WINNING BOOK OF ALL TIME EVER.  I know this.  But really?  SNOOZE ALERT!  Seriously.  I believe it might be the most boring book I've ever read in my entire life.  Yes.  It's confirmed.  It is.    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz



Appendix A.


No comments:

Post a Comment