Sunday, September 18, 2011

We Don't Want Any

If you have been to my house, you know that I have a little [cheeseball] ho-made-it sign on my front porch that says "No Soliciting"  (with a tiny 'thank you' at the bottom) hanging from an outside outlet.  Like a cranky, crotchety 85 year old man (no offense, Willis) would have on his front porch.

This is code for "GO AWAY"

Everyone has their "thing" -- and while I am aware that I have a few (and by few I mean thousands) more  than the average Joe, people who LITTER.MY.DOOR.WITH.FLYERS.AND.THE.LIKE is a big one for me.  HUGE.

I've tried breaking it down in my head, and I'm not sure WHY this bothers me so much.  But I think it boils down to stranger-dangers being on my property, uninvited. 

Friday was the final straw.  I was heading out to Costco while sweet baby Logan was taking a snooze (don't worry, Willis was WFH) and as I opened the door, a flyer from Dwayne's D.A.D lawn care service fell to the ground.   I had HAD it.  Having just been out in the front yard to inspect the baby raccoon holes from the night before (there is no way I can be mad anymore about the holes all over my front yard now that I know they are baby raccoons -- I mean, how cute???) I knew that DWAYNE had JUST been at my door.

So, I decided to find him*. 

It didn't take long.  You can spot these guys a million miles away -- iPod headphone cord, and arms full of white paper.  So I pulled over and rolled down my window.

me (hanging out the window):  "Hey!  Are you the lawn service people?"
Mexican dude wearing youth ministries tshirt:  "no, I just pass out the flyers."
[EDITOR'S NOTE:  In retrospect, this is the moment I should've let the poor lad go on his merry way, considering he was wearing a youth ministry t shirt and all.  But I was all riled up.]
me (still hanging out the window):  "Well, you just put a flyer on my door, right next to a sign that says "NO SOLICITING!!!!!  Did you see the sign?"
Mexican dude wearing youth ministries tshirt:  "I didn't see it."
me:  "WELL PAY ATTENTION!  I AM SICK OF MY DOOR BEING LITTERED WITH TRASH EVERY.DAY.OF.THE.WEEK."
Mexican dude wearing youth ministries tshirt:  "I sorry, I didn't see."


Of course the second I pulled away I felt TERRIBLE about it, and my trip to Costco was not as enjoyable as it would have been if I hadn't just unleashed on a poor guy trying to make a few extra bucks to help out his youth ministry with a side job passing out flyers.

So, when I got home, I decided to call Dwayne*.  From the flyer.   

Dwayne:  "Hello?"
me:  "Is this Dwayne from D.A.D's lawn service company?"
Dwayne:  "Yes, can I help you?"
me:  "Yes.  Yes you can.  You can stop littering my front door with paper.  Especially since there is a NO SOLICITING sign hanging in plain view.  That means I don't want any.  Tell your people to PAY ATTENTION!!" 
Dwayne (obviously having had this conversation a time or twenty in his life):  "I am well within my right to leave a flyer on your door.  I have spoken with the police about it.  Call them if you want.  Soliciting is when I knock on your door and try to sell you something.  Go ahead, call the police on me if you want." 
me:  "Yeah?  Maybe I will.  And I was actually looking for a lawn service company [lie] but now that you've put litter on my door, I am not going to use your services."
Dwayne:  "That's fine, but I get a ton of business this way, especially in YOUR neighborhood." 
me:  "Yeah?  Well I'm going to go door-to-door and tell every single one of my neighbors never to use your company*." 
Dwayne:  "I will pray for you**."


PICTURE TIME! 



I love my big boy high chair!


Mom, for real?  Seriously?


CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!


*Because this is how sane, rational people behave. 
**Only in Texas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment