Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Housewife

Today Logie and I SAID NO to a last minute lakeside walk with Margot and her mom... so that I could go grocery shopping.  Can you believe!?  Normally, I would never say no to a playdate because of household duties.  But something happened last week.  Something that I can't quite shake.

Let's set the scene.  My friend Lauren* was over for a playdate close to dinnertime.  Logie was eating his prunes, her adorable baby boy Charlie was bouncing around in the shady used Craigslist bouncer, and Lauren was sitting next to us on the barstool. 

Then, out of nowhere... it happened.  In the middle of a conversation.  Just out of the blue. 

Lauren:  "So, what are you making for dinner tonight?"

:::::::::::::cue the crickets:::::::::::::

me:  "What do you mean?"
Lauren:  "What's for dinner?"
me:  "Oh.  Um, I'm not sure.  James and I haven't talked about it yet.  Wait.  Do you usually like plan out dinner and then make it?  Like ahead of time?  Or like know what you are making at the beginning of the day sort of thing?"
Lauren [looking like an alien has just descended from outer space and landed on her lap]: "Well... yeah...  Do you?"
me:  "Um.  Well.  James usually figures that out."
Lauren:  "Whoa.  Yeah, I have to do dinner every night.  Well you do the grocery shopping at least right?"

:::::::::::::cue the crickets:::::::::::::

me:  "um."

:::::::::::::cue the crickets:::::::::::::

*favorite girl name of all time; if you steal it, you're deadmeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment