Monday, November 22, 2010

Don't Panic

I keep flip flopping on whether or not I feel like 76 days is a long time or not a long time, but at this moment I'm thinking it's not a long time.  You see, in addition to our b-feeding and Lamaze classes, I'm making poor Willis also take a baby care class AND an infant CPR class.  One can never be too prepared, right!?  My doctor's office also offers the baby care class, but it is taught by the nurse assigned to me who I just so happen to LOATHE.  We call her Smokey Joe because she always reeks of butts (cigarette butts, not the human kind of butts), and lately I've been replacing that J in Joe with an H.  (In case you are wondering I love love love my doctor, so I'm willing to put up with SH.)  So, we are driving to another hospital to take the baby care class.  The reason I am telling you all this?  Well, when I checked out the schedule at the other hospital, there were only TWO CLASSES WE COULD TAKE THAT ARE BEFORE MY DUE DATE.  aaah! 

I'm not really sure that taking all of these classes will really do anything for me or not, considering the way I typically react in a panicked situation anyway.  I'm quite certain that I'm someone that you don't want around if there is some sort of emergency going on.  I would be NO help whatsoever, no matter what kind of training I might have had.  In fact, I'd probably start hyperventilating and take away from the actual emergency. 

Just today I had a bit of a close call on the way out of our complex.  Before you go geting all worried, don't fret - it wasn't life threatening or even close to that, but you'd never know that by the way I reacted.  I was trying to follow a truck out of the automatic gate so that I didn't have to wait for it to open again, when it started to close - very quickly - about a millimeter away from the car.  I immediately floored it, then slammed on the breaks, then floored it again - all while clutching the steering wheel, white knuckled, yelling "AAAAAAH!!!!!!"  I was so flustered that I had to pull over at a gas station once I made it out of the building.  When I told Willis about it, he said "you know if that happens again, you can just hit the button and it will open back up."  Right.  That button that I always hit that always opens the gate. 

It didn't even occur to me. 

Can I tell you how excited I am for Thanksgiving?!  Catherine and Aaron are coming to Texas and we are having Thanksgiving like grown ups, just the 4 of us.   Like an 80 year old (no offense, Mom and Dad - J.U.S.T K.I.D.D.I.N.G) I have been fretting for a week about the best time to go grocery shopping in order to beat the rush.  I talk about it every day - debating on which day, which time of day, etc. is going to be the least crowded.  Last week I was about to ask the checkout girl her thoughts until she dropped my rotisserie chicken on the ground and I figured I couldn't really trust her judgement after all.  So, I'm still undecided, which means I'm waiting until the last minute, which means I won't be beating the rush.  I also feel like I have to separate Thanksgiving shopping from regular shopping.  I was at the grocery store TODAY, in fact, and saw a few things I knew were on the Thanksgiving list but I thought, "no no I can't get that now, I need to wait for the Thanksgiving grocery trip."  Demented. 

We were behind this tool the other day.
Who gets that as their license plate?!
Seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment