Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Recap!

I hope everyone had a nice holiday! 

Mine started out like this:


Since I couldn't make up my mind on the best time to go shopping, Cath and I ended up having to go on Wednesday (my worst nightmare!) while Aaron started putting together the crib and Willis had a conference call. 

I don't think Cath wanted to deal with Cranky Ali complaining about her feet hurting, so she insisted that I get pushed around in the above cart.  And I have to say that while I was hesitant at first, it was a very pleasant grocery store trip!  I highly recommend it.  All except for the old ladies giving me stank eye... but I personally think they were just jealous because they weren't getting pushed around themselves.  Too bad so sad for you!  Honk honk outta my way you old bag!
We had a good system going - Cath would do all the work, and I would just bark orders, cross items off the list, and sip water throughout the trip to stay hydrated.



Cath said that she thought the most chaotic part of the trip was the produce section (above), but I thought it was nice and relaxing.

We were kind of making a scene in the gravy/Thanksgiving isle because the monster cart kept blocking the isles where people were trying to get all of the most popular Thanksgiving items, so Cath announced (not sure to who exactly) "oh sorry, SHE HASN'T BEEN OUT OF THE HOUSE IN A WHILE!  You know, BEDREST!"  And a woman came running up and said "oh no!  My sister is home on bedrest right now!  You should be at home!"  And I kind of shrugged and told her not to worry, all was ok since I was in my cart.  I then told another lady about all of the old ladies giving me stank eye, and she said "can you BELIEVE that - well don't you worry, just relax and take it easy, and don't at ALL feel guilty about what you have to do."  My thoughts exactly, lady.  Plus she was old, too, so I think she felt flattered that I was talking to her about all of the other old ladies as if she wasn't one herself.  (Gosh I sound like I hate old people or something!  I really don't.  I mean I'm really close with my parents!  just kidding, Mom and Dad.  OH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Cath also pushed me all around every square inch of the store while she hunted for the liquid gravy stuff that the workers kept telling her they didn't have, but she just knew that they did.  Although sometimes the isles would be too crowded, so she'd park me up at the top of the isles and I'd just sit there, chillin in my cart.

Apparently the cart was a coveted item, because as soon as we were finished and Cath ditched it in the grass next to our car, this grandma came running over to get it for her grandkids to sit in... 



Next on the having-people-do-everything-for-me agenda was baby furniture assembly.  Aaron got a head start on the crib while Willis did some work:




Once the crib was almost put together, there was a big controversy on how the room should be laid out.  I think the boys moved the bed 4 times, then once Cath woke up from her nap, they moved it a 5th time because she had a different idea on how the room should go... which ended up being the way it stayed.  And I think the way it began, too.  Aaron and Willis were LOVING us. 


I guess each time they moved the bed they had to take some middle section apart, which they loved doing.


They thought for sure they were done with the bed moving, before Cath woke up from her nap:


Also, at one point Willis got put together IN the crib.  The only thing he's missing is a DIAPER! 




I was really hoping the cats wouldn't be interested in getting in the crib, but not surprisingly Sox hopped right in about 3 minutes after they were done.  I read somewhere that cats hate the sound of aluminum foil, so the crib now looks like this.  I hope Logan doesn't mind that crinkle sound.


Here's a pic of the changing table / dresser... we got the combo one because we're a bit tight on space for the next 11 months.  Note that it is also doubling as our wireless router stand.  Oh and that's Bear who is still wearing his diaper. 


And can you find Daisy?


DONE!  I was really helpful throughout the whole process, just kind of sitting around saying "um, well, I don't really know, shouldn't the bed go the other way?" and things of that nature.   

The next day we had a very delicious meal, with a smoked turkey from a very good BBQ place in town called Uncle Billy's.  Cath even made homemade rolls!  I unfortunately couldn't eat them because I have The Dreaded Gestational Diabetes, but I was able to eat tablespoons of other carbs.  I think Willis noticed I was teetering on tears when I saw everyone else's plate, so he got up and got me a few sips of Pinot Noir... which Logan really liked.  And which immediately gave me heartburn. 

Along with the diabetes comes a very handy blood sugar testing kit, so we had a blood sugar competition after dinner to see who was the lowest.  And guess who won, ladies and gents!?  THIS GIRL!  I cheated though and got on the treadmill after we ate so I could have a fakey piece of pumpkin pie I made with Splenda. 

I think this is the first year in a long time I haven't woken up hungover from a holiday celebration (geez what an ALCHIE), which was actually quite nice!  Now I'm just wishing again that Aaron and Cath didn't live 80,000 miles away...


No comments:

Post a Comment