Thursday, December 9, 2010

Roomie

I can't believe that it's taken me this long to bring up Roomie, seeing as though we are a day apart in our prego-ness and have a pretty funny/constant dialogue going on BBM about everything that's happening "in there" right now (i.e. the Alien Invasions). 

Roomie and I were college roommates my sophomore & her junior year, and while I'm certain I'm not the easiest person in the world to live with, Roomie and I had a good thing going.  We had a rule that we weren't allowed to talk to each other in the morning, which is why I think we are still friends.  There WAS this one time that she said she almost killed me -- and that was when I went manic and started vacuuming our 14 square foot room at 9 am on a Saturday morning while she was still sleeping.  Why I wasn't too hungover to do such an activity on a Saturday before noon is beyond me, but it's still a pretty funny thing to picture anyway... because it's very out of character for Austin Ali.  We also used to hang out of our tiny dorm window smoking butts, agonizing over how hot we were with no air conditioning.  (Mom and Dad I was just feeling peer pressure since she was older so that's why I smoked those cigarettes.  So it's really her fault.) 

Fast forward 8 years.  Who knew that we would be on a girls' weekend at Cath's in Florida over Memorial Day 2010, both pregnant and not knowing it?  ONE DAY APART?  We were sharing packs of Marlboro Lights (again, peer pressure) and trading off making frozen rum drinks all weekend, completely, 100%, KNOCKED UP (is that a crass saying?  See I don't really think it is, but it's probably not very becoming for a lady to say it).  Thankfully Baby K and Baby J-D were just cute little zygotes then so I'm not too concerned about it, and I'm sure they had fun.  (This was also the trip that I was forced to watch the heinously disgusting "2 Girls One Cup" video, and then they videotaped my reaction.  Mom and Dad -- and everyone else for that matter -- DON'T Google it.) 

It's been so great having someone going through the exact same thing at the exact same time during such an "interesting" time.  So, if you can somehow plan to get prego a day apart from your old college roommate, I highly recommend it. 

These days I'll get the, "random pain in your right side?" messages from her, and she'll get the, "do you have stretch marks and if you say no I kill you?" messages from me.  But typically it's me sending her a random freak out and her calming me down (me: "are you concerned that eating too much peanut butter will lead to peanut allergies?"  Roomie:  "no").  And the rest is so embarrassing and disgusting I don't think I can share, even with you.  But today she said something along the lines of, "we don't want high strung / up tight babies, so the calmer we are the better for them" which is so true... and which also immediately made me fret because I realized that I'll probably be having the most up tight kid in the state of Texas because of the amount of worrying I do.  And Texas is one big ass state.

Roomie is a lovely mother-hen-but-no-nonsense-but-also-nurturing-and-suck-it-up-you-aren't-on-fire-or-dying type all at the same time.  I think she'll be a very calm mother.  Me, on the other hand, will probably hyperventilate the second Logan gets his first knee scrape, forcing him to call 911 when he's 3 years old from the playground because his mom is having a panic attack.  In other words, we balance each other out. 

If my hands and feet weren't so swollen I would have gone through my old boxes of college pics to really incriminate Roomie, so she's lucky I'm feeling too prego to move right now.
Hey Roomie - tell Annette I said hello... 19!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Roomie...what an awesome tribute to this adventure we're on together!! I must say I'm happy that you are swollen and not digging anything out of your stash of incriminating pictures.

    You will be an AWESOME mom with lots of love for that little boy!! Once he's out of your stomach, you can start drinking again and that will definitely calm your nerves, so there will be no 911 call for Logan's spastic mother from the playground...you'll have your to-go cup and it'll be just fine!

    I loved this: Roomie is a lovely mother-hen-but-no-nonsense-but-also-nurturing-and-suck-it-up-you-aren't-on-fire-or-dying type all at the same time." That's the nicest thing I've ever heard!! Love you Roomie...YEAH 19!!!

    ReplyDelete