Friday, October 29, 2010

Boooo!

Today's post is dedicated to Halloween, but before we get started, I'd like to address the following quote on Bravo from Iman.  It occurs around the 10 second mark - sorry, you have to watch the whole thing to see it.  Is this for real?  Each time I see it (which is about 800 times a day), I get bunchy after I hear her say "E-WAC-EW-A-SHON." 

Now that I have that off my chest, I feel like I can move on to a more important topic - HALLOWEEN

I have a very creative artist for a mother, so I always had some pretty unique costumes growing up. This girl never wore one of those cheap, ill-fitting, itchy drug store costumes. No sir. I think I used to secretly long to wear one of those fire hazards in a bag, though. I also used to wish that we were allowed to trick or treat using pillowcases like the hoodlums, but we always had special Halloween bags every year. (I know, I had it rough. It's a wonder I'm still here.) I'm also not sure that I really ever came in contact with hoodlums, or if hoodlums even carried pillowcases, but I still liked the idea for some reason of getting candy in a pillowcase.

I think the best costume she made for me was the Hershey Kiss.  I can't imagine how many rolls of Reynolds Wrap went into this little number, or the amount of time it took. 




Unfortunately, the Hershey Kiss never made it past the front yard.  Shortly after these pictures were taken, my dear brother Aaron (aka Mr. Pumpkin) said that I looked like a baked potato which resulted in me crying and refusing to wear the costume.

I think Statue of Liberty is a close second.  If I remember correctly, this costume was made from some satin sheets I had which weren't working out at the time because I was always sliding out of bed and waking up all static-y.  Apparently my bed was on a tilt?  I also thought it was called Statue of LiVerty.  I loved this costume but also remember wishing the torch (which was a flashlight - pretty clever!) could have a real flame.  Geez, was the girl EVER happy?


Minnie Mouse was another favorite.  How cute are those tights?  I think I had a similar pair a few years ago.  I'm not really sure about that blue bow, but maybe that was an afterthought. 


Carmen Miranda.  I honestly don't think I had any idea who the hell this woman was, but who can resist that head of fruit??
OK, off to get ready for the Salvation Army guys to get here - look at all the stuff we are getting rid of!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment